John Mullen & Company named
The Best of Small Business – State of Hawaii SBA Awards and SmallBiz Editor's Choice 2017
J. TERRY MULLEN
JOHN MULLEN & CO.
Sponsor: Russell O. Shogren Jr., First Hawaiian Bank
Founded in California by John and Margaret Mullen in 1956, John Mullen & Co. moved to Hawaii three years later, making a name for itself as the largest independent multiline insurance adjusting firm in the Islands.
"We've tried to maintain the company feel and the company vision that my mother and father put through," says J. Terry Mullen, 64, the company's current president. "My dad was the heart of the company. He was a great salesperson and manager, and my mom was the soul. She was the bookkeeper until the day she died. It was payroll day and she was very pleased that we had made payroll, and she passed away about a half hour after that, at home.
"She and my dad both had that strong feeling that you can really do good for the people we represent, and you can do well by them and you can do well by yourself in return. That's been the key to our longevity and our size. My dad called it, 'Adjusting with aloha.' "
For decades, John Mullen & Co. has handled investigations for insurance claims on automobile, bodily injury, general liability, property, workers' compensation, marine, travel accident and temporary disability. With nearly 100 employees, including adjusters on Maui, Kauai, Hawaii Island and Oahu, the business services claims throughout Hawaii and the Pacific Basin, including Johnston Island, Kwajalein and American Samoa.
J. Terry Mullen joined the family business as a part-time field adjustor assistant in 1974, working his way up through the workers-compensation department before taking the top job when his father stepped down in 1989.
The company has retained clients from the 1960s, while also attracting new business. Its employee retention rate is impressively high. The average claims staff member has been with the company for more than 17 years.
"People want to work for us because they know they aren't going to get the corporate runaround," Mullen says. "I really do believe that our people have been key to any successes we've had."
First Hawaiian Bank VP Russell O. Shogren Jr. says John Mullen & Co. is simply the best.
"I feel it's important Terry Mullen and his team receive recognition for their continued service to the local Hawaii community and consistent financial performance," he says.
Hawaii Business magazine
Letter to New Clients
April 20, 2017
John Mullen & Company represents insurance companies, unbundled insured clients, self-insureds, and captive companies across the entire spectrum of insurance claims. As the largest multi-line adjusting firm in the State of Hawaii, we perform complete investigation and adjustment of automobile, bodily injury, general liability, professional liability, property, business interruption, construction operations, vehicle appraisal, workers' compensation claims (both at the state and federal levels) marine, and temporary disability claims.
We are also very pleased to announce and share some exciting updates. These are:
- Celebrating 58 years of doing business in Hawaii this year in October.
- Named 2017 State of Hawaii SBA Best Family Owned Small Business of the Year.
- Named a finalist in Pacific Business News' 2015 Best Places to Work in medium size business category.
- New state of the art claim management system – JW Software. HIPAA Compliant. Web based. Hosting is SSAE16 SOC 1 Type 2. Was installed in July 2014.
- Superior and Quality Service Results
- 90 dedicated professionals. Our claims staff averages 17 years of experience.
- We have the largest property staff in the State of Hawaii with adjusters on Maui, Kauai, the Big Island, and Oahu.
- Our nurse unit, or Nurse Case Management Services (NCMS) is fully operational. This group was formed with the intent to provide telephonic nurse case management for our workers' compensation and No Fault clients. It has proven itself to be a very effective cost containment option for our clients. There are two RNs on our staff.
- Voted "2011 Best Places to Work" winner by Hawaii Business Magazine
- Committed to you in providing excellence and value.
When it is time to make a choice, it is our sincere hope that you will consider our local kama'aina company for your business needs. It's an ongoing challenge today for a business to improve the bottom line and it gets tougher every year. This is where we can help you as part of our commitment to in providing excellence and value.